Thankful for the gift. Each and every day

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Week 1: 8/30-9/5

Sunday: 0 miles... Busy day I wasn't too happy to miss my long run.

Monday: 6 miles...Ridge Park loop. Medium effort... felt good
In the AM I performed a 10 station circuit (x2) at my school during my break. Like a moron I incorporated squat thrust, mountain climbers, scissors and frog hops within the circuit that also included abdominal and upper body emphasis (which I do need). I don't think this will feel good the next few days....

Tuesday: 9 miles...Germantown Park. Didn't do the standard loop that combines the mountain bike trails and the back roads surrounding the park. I just neandered around the park and surrounding neighborhoods. Easy effort but felt harder as my quads felt like jelly.

Wednesday: 9 miles... TRACK WORKOUT. 2.5 up. 6 x 800 w/200m rest between first 3 800's. 400 rest after the first 3 intervals and then 200 rest again between final 3 800's.
2:20, 2:20, 2:19 400 rest 2:19, 2:17, 2:11. 2.5 miles cool down on turf.
- Workout felt great for first track workout in 2 months. Before the workout, I didn't think I was going to have a good experience as my legs were like lead and my hamstrings felt like they were going to ball up on me if I over-extended my workout. It wound up being tolerable and I was excited to get back on the track and really pumped to be able to have Karl to get through the workout with.

Thursday: 8 miles... Went out and back 4 miles on the tow path. Felt good. I wanted a soft, flat surface for today's run as my legs were beat up from yesterdays workout combined with the foolish circuit i put myself through on monday. Legs didn't feel good and it was hard to get into a rhythm.

Friday: 6 miles easy around germantown. Legs felt terrible. I took a cold bath after run and then took a hot bath later on, hoping to get the junk out of my legs.

Saturday: 10 miles total RACE: Kentlands/Lakelands 5k (Gaithersburg).
5th place with 15:30.
* Warm up of 2 miles felt fine. I was poised and ready to get out after a competitive field. I knew going into it I was lacking strength from low mileage and a consistency of 4-6 runs/week for majority of the summer. Usually if I run smart, I can still dish out a good performance on lower mileage. I went out easy and the plan was to go after the last mile and hope there was people fading ahead of me I could zero in on. I went out in 4:51 and came through deuce in 9:37. Karl and I worked with one another through 2 miles and just past 2 miles, the 3rd place kenyan who we were bringing in looked back and dropped out of the race. At that point, Karl surged and I was not able to respond... In fact, at that point I was unable to even keep my current race pace...The last mile of that race took forever... as my time explains... 9:37 at 2... 15:30 at finish. I am excited that I was able to get through 2 miles at that pace and feel comfortable... Usually when I suddenly get the bear on the back and it is not a gradual onset, it means I am just lacking strength... I cooled down 4 miles with Karl, Mike (Karl's friend from college) and a kenyan named Joel Mwaura (2nd place overall: just arrived in the states only 3 weeks ago from Nairobi).

Week 1 Mileage = 46 miles in 6 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment