Thankful for the gift. Each and every day

Sunday, October 11, 2009

23 WEEKS TO GO

The last 2 weeks I have not done much mileage at all... I took off 5 consecutive days and the runs I have done in the last 16 days have not creeped over 8 miles (avg of 5-6 miles). The purpose of this was to give my legs some added rest before my 24 week marathon build up, which also includes some key lead up races. I have 4 weeks built in from the start that are just easy distance miles that by the 4th week I will be up to 65 miles. Week 5 I make a nice jump up to 80 miles and back down to 70 for week 6. from there I leap up to 85 and for the most part of Phase 2 (of 4), I will be avg 80 miles/week. At the end of phase 2 and leading into phase 3, I will see 3 weeks at 100 miles. This is going to be very very foreign to me as I have not been over 80 miles/week in years. My lead up to philly distance run last year I hit 4 weeks at 80 and the avg for the 3 months leading up was 60. I feel that this has to happen at this time in my career if I want to see how good I can be. It could be humbling... I have a feeling it may start out that way and end on a good note...

Sunday: 6 miles (Easy/Med)... I ran around my old stomping ground in the old Ivyland Industrial Park. This is where I ran virtually every run during the summer going into my frosh year of college at James Madison and into my Soph year when I transferred to Penn state. It gave me a good time to reflect on life. Not just with running, but primarily with running. I came to the conclusion that I am tired of not making running a big priority in my life. I now have a job that allows me to get out more than I ever have been able to before, a wife who tells me I need to get my ass in gear, who is a talented runner. I love to compete... I am realizing that I can only perform at a mediocre level at my age off little training. This has to change... I am dedicating the next two years to getting in high/quality mileage in and see where it takes me. I want to be smart and with the training plan from Jack Daniels that I chose to follow, I feel it is a very challenging but good lead up for me.
Back in PA for the weekend to watch my high school team I coached last year win the Tennent XC Invitational!!! I was so proud of the guys and for Warwick (who is returning as head coach after my departure). I am excited also for the Eagles/Bucs game @ 1pm today. Nice to be around some true, die-hard football fans for a change... YES, THAT WAS A SHOT AT YOU SKINS FANS.

No comments:

Post a Comment