Thankful for the gift. Each and every day

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A New Beginning...

So, the achilles is rocked... for now. I have severe Tendonitis and a few micro tears in the lower attachment of the achilles at the Calcaneus of my left ankle. I began this week a pool running regiment that is going to be a vigorous program that will hopefully get me in the fitness level I need to be at, when it is time to transition back into running... Hopefully that is sooner than later. When I think of tendonitis... i don't relate that to a big injury... its annoying, hurts but it cannot lead to any serious injury... just discomfort that goes away with the proper maintenance (icing/stretching/massage). My doctor is the kind of doctor that gets athletes on their feet fast. Catherine "The Great" Ndereba sees him every wednesday for the last few years. He knows his stuff and is well respected. When he told me this could lead to a rupture of the achilles if you continue trying to run through it, I knew I had to put my armor down... I was in good hands and know that I will live to fight again... just not in the next couple months.
I had 2 appoinments over winter break back in PA with my trusted and good friend, Dr. Gearhart. Dr. Gearhart performed a technique known as "Grasdon" which basically is used to lower inflamation, increase blood flow to the lacking flow to the achilles, overall...it is said to cut recovery in half... It is somewhat uncomfortable but I trust in Dr. Gearhart that it works. He hooked me up with a chiropractic doctor in Rockville that is certified in the same area. I will be seeing her 3 x's/week.
Highlight of the week:
My former college xc/track coach, Aaron Russel is going to be coaching me for the next 2 years with a quality, thought out plan with appropriate progressions, key races charted. I had success under him... He is the reason I became an NCAA D II All-American... The injuries I withstood through my collegiate career were mostly on my own account (with moving mileage up too quick), as well as all-around bad luck (tonsilectomy, Femoral Hernia, stress fracture, torn hamstring). I cannot tell you how excited I am to begin running/racing again under Coach russells guidance!!!

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a Slam Dunk!

    Water Running sucks, but it works really well.
    I PR'd 3 times (400, 800, stch) in 2 days at my college conf meet after not running for 2 weeks, but rather a engaging in a consistent H2O running program.

    Here is to a speedy recovery,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jake. Water running does suck. I hope to be back out there with you guys soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete