Thankful for the gift. Each and every day

Friday, March 26, 2010

Monkey!!! Get off my back already!

So... the monkey on my back since my soph year of college has been the 5,000meter on the track. I have run 2 fresh and competitive 5ks on the track and 2 that were second events of the day that were just simply for place points in the team scoring. Lets just say that my PR on the track is not able to be compared in any way, shape or form to that of my road and XC performances. I have 4:10 mile speed and 1:08 half marathon strength... but my PR for 5,000meters is 14:58. I don't care if I am just getting back into the swing of things or not... There is no reason that my time tomorrow is not 14:57 or quicker.
With this being said.... Patience and racing smart must be a key ingredient in tomorrows effort. I need to start out easy and work into the race. When i go out hard... i don't do well with holding up after trying to bank time (on the road and in XC i can do this)... but not in the long, tough and mental 5k on the track. I am confident that my closing laps can make up ground. I know there will be other runners ahead of me coming into this race. Lets see how myself and the other GRC harriers hold up against the young bucks tomorrow at the University of Maryland Invitational!!!
results developing....

2 comments: