Thankful for the gift. Each and every day

Saturday, March 27, 2010

University of MD Invitational 5000m

I woke up at 6am. I was out the door for a 1 and 1/2 mile shake out run at 6:20. I came back, got showered, brewed some coffee, ate a bagel w/ peanut butter and took a banana for the road. I treked over to Terrapin beach (I didn't want to say Terrapin Country because the Terrapin is a sea reptile-if i correctly recall). Anyway, I warmed up at 8:40 w/ Chicken Tender Andy and Billy Askey. We toed the line at 9:20. Nerves were there as this was the first time I got to go at a 5k on the track since 2003. The gun was off and I immediately tucked in. First 400... very very slow (77). I was angry that a guy who is seeded at 14:50 would take it out that slow. I came up to the mile at 4:55 (as we picked it up on lap 2...) I stormed to the lead and dropped a 69-70. Again... the UMD guy came up... took the lead... and slowed it down again... I should have just put in that effort for a full 800 to see what he had... but I am in no business in the shape/strength level to be fooling around with a heroic effort. I ran through 2 miles in 9:50 14 seconds slower that goal pace. I knew that i could not make that up... as with the fartlek type race we were having, my legs did not have the juice i thought they would have w/ 1 mile to go (esp at the overall leisure pace up front). Adam Condit from Potomac River Running stated his intentions for the lead and stormed up... He broke a way w/ 12oo to go but myself and the UMD guy were able to pull him back in w/ 2 to go.... That is when I made a move... I went for it... new i didn't have the fresh legs for a lethal kick that I was hoping... so, i went for it for 200... I figured if i die, i have only 600 to go. It apparently was not much of a move as it was countered by a big surge by the UMD guy. I was racing for second (even though in my mind I was itching to catch the UMD guy). He was too strong on this day (and for the race that he totally dictated..)
Finished 2nd place with a 15:16.5 (official). I am happy to get out and race a 5k on the track... I will leave it at that...
Next Race TBA (originally scheduled to be Firebirds Mile Track race) but I may squeeze something in before hand. NO PENN RELAYS 5K! after today, i have no business being there.

No comments:

Post a Comment