Thankful for the gift. Each and every day

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

ahhh I could get use to this....

Yesterdays Recovery day was a success. I aqua jogged 45 minutes with Jake in the AM, vegged out the remainder of the day and then went out for an easy 3 mile shake out run just to make sure my legs didn't feel weird for todays 12 miler. This morning I woke up at 5:45am and was out the door by 6:10 with my golf bag to meet up with my buddy Sammy for a round of golf up in Mt. Airy, MD. The weather was beautiful and my game started off the way I needed it to. I had this bet going for the summer with a co-worker that I would break the 100 barrier by the start of school... This was only the second time I went out this summer to play but on a hard course I was able to come through the half way point at 51. I was on track and just needed a few puts to go my way on the back 9. This unfortunately wasn't the case... I shanked the first two drives on holes 10 and 11 (this included a temper tantrum at hole 11 where I threw a club in anger). After cooling off I was able to get something together for the next 4 holes... but I was still in "the hole" due to the terrible performances on hole 10 and 11. I got to the 17th and knew I needed a par and a birdie(I have never hit a birdie in my life in golf). I got a bogey and then a triple bogey on the 18th to finish out the day with a 111. Not what I looked for but a tough course.
Playing golf today made me really think about the half marathon I have coming up... My game started out just as planned.. I was arrogant because everything was going my way. At points I was not even worried about breaking 100, instead looking to maybe close in on 90... and then suddenly, it crashed and was really not able to be mended back in order. It simply just continued to get worse. This race on the 19th cannot be run with the same mindset. I cannot go out "on pace" I need to stay back and trust my strengths (the second half of the race). I need to stay in contact with what I want to do but know that if i get carried away and too ambitious before the 8 mile mark, I am going to not come out of the race with anything positive. The trials simply need to be secondary... The goal: To hit 5's as long as possible and if I have a pack to do this with, that will only help make it a slight bit easier. No matter how you look at it... It is going to be the most pain I have ever endured and the grass outside the finish corral will be where I will lay down knowing I did my very best.

No comments:

Post a Comment