Thankful for the gift. Each and every day

Monday, August 16, 2010

A cool long run and a recovery day

Sunday: 20 miles from "The Line".
I met up with a small group of GRCers at "The Line" for a long run heading south into D.C towards the zoo. After about 25 minutes of easy running on Beach Drive, we decided to jump up on the trails that run parallel to Beach. I was nervous about getting on the trails with the carnage in the forest that I observed while taking a nature break prior to the run. I had a hard time finding cover due to all the big trees that were knocked down. This was also the case on the trails today. The first half of the run was much stop and go. Not the best way to run a 20miler... but at the same time i was not planning on pushing this weekends long run. I simply sought out to get the miles and minutes on my feet. After coming back and parting ways with Karl (who was running a bit shorter today), I ran with Texas Paul and Dutch Paul up towards Dirk's house where Dutch Paul has been staying for the last few weeks. I was surrounded by fast and accomplished runners. Texas Paul ran varsity for Alabama (but is from Texas...hence Texas Paul) and has some fast times to his resume. Dutch Paul is still in school and is a sub 30 10k runner for Fresno State. After dropping Dutch Paul off, Texas Paul and I ran back to RCP and jumped back on Beach Drive. The last 2 miles with Dutch Paul were around 6:20's and when we turned back to go to Beach Drive, Texas Paul and I pushed the pace faster. This was not something I planned to do but with the cool rain coming down and running with a fit and fast texas paul, these things just happen. We figured we were running sub 6's for a few miles near the tail end of our run. We ran an easy last mile and stopped the clock at 2 hours and 15 minutes.
Overall, these long runs feel good. They didn't weeks ago... I was out of commission many afternoons... Now I feel the same as I do after a 10 miler. So, i guess that is a good thing. My only goal for the next 5 weeks is to simply get my butt to the starting line in philly on the 19th. This is my NUMBER 1 PRIORITY. The philadelphia distance run!... It sounds selfish but it is what I have been working towards for months... I want this more than anything.

Monday: I met the Red Fox for a 7:45am pool run. We jumped in the cold pool and cursed a bit for 5 minutes but then acclimated to the h20 temps. We aqua jogged 45 minutes and even added some short but hard effort intervals. I forgot how much of a workout you get in the pool. My arms feel it more than my legs :) I have planned to take today off from running... but I may bet out for a shake out this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment