Thankful for the gift. Each and every day

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Rock n' Run 10k Race Report






I ran the rock n' run 10k this morning.  The competition was not there at all this year compared to recent years when someone will show up (mike Syrnick PSU alum and sub 9 steepler showed up last year) but not this year.  I held the previous course record from last year at 32:14 and was simply just trying to get under 32 minutes (which i felt would be a tough task considering the terrain).  I however went out like a bat out of hell and purposely banked some time in the fast steep first mile.  4:40 i heard as i came through mile 1 and onto the dirt trail that sent me flying down to the sharp 90 degree turn where Agony hill greeted me.  I poured a lot of sweat and blood on repeat hill miles on Agony over the years so we know eachother well.  I tempo'd the first portion and after I hit the steep section and got the the final gradual 400 meters of the climb, i worked it back in.  9:52 was mile 2 (a 5:12) expected... I knew i had a flat mile for the 3rd mile to start clicking... and i did... I hit another sub 5.  Then hit a short but very steep climb for about 100 meters... the climb continued for the next 500 meters or so but was gradual for most of it.  I then bombed down a 600 meter steep steep downhill where i knew i had to go balls to the wall to bank some more time.  I leaned forward like a crazy out of control kid in his first trip down the steep neighborhood hill on his Big Wheel (god i wish i still had my Big Wheel)...  After my short lived fantasy it was back to business, i hit the base of the descent and began to work and short rolling section of hills.  I hit mile four in 19:59.  I was where I wanted to be but knew the last 4 miles were the hardest... I tempod the next section of steep hills and once i got to the top i knew i had to put everything in the rolly (predominately downhill section) that came up next... i did this... it hurt but i knew i needed to get as many seconds in the bank as possible for the final 1.2 miles.  I hit mile 5 in 24:57 and was feeling it... I hit the trail that began the start of the long and steep climb that would exit me from the park and back towards the start finish area...  I got off the trail and into the open for the final 400 meters of the hill before I was able to hit the flat final 600 meters of the course... I was hurting bad as my legs were numb but my form never buckled... my breathing felt good... I got into the school parking area and made the final turn for the final 500 meter straightaway.  The wind was furiously whipping and i kicked as hard as I possibly could.  I hit mile 6 in 30:20.  I was getting stood up in this wind... I ran through the line and saw the clock at 31:30.  31:33 was my official and gave me much satisfaction as I got a great workout in and in hindsight, i was only 18 seconds off my PR set only two weeks ago on pancake flat (beautiful weather) Veterans Day.  This was a good sign that fitness is coming back. 
Next:  USATF Club XC Championships (Charlotte, NC) in two weeks.

The map above was the elevation profile (The white is the elevation and the blue is the outlining). for the Rock n' Run 10k 2010.  It was one of the toughest course I have run for that distance.  I was running the time trial of my life (being that no one was within 6 minutes) up until just past the 5 mile mark.  I came through in 24:57 and was feeling strong but the long, steep uphill trail that began just past 5 miles was looming and i knew this would be tough.  With the gusting wind, the steep climb and the fatigue hitting my legs, I knew it would be a fight to keep close to the 4 sub or right at 5minute miles I have posted out of the previous 5 miles.  4:40(steep downhill), 5:12(uphill), 4:59(flat), 5:04(up and down), 5:02(uphill), 6:36(steep uphill-reverse of opening mile for final 1.2)
    I feel I am ready to help the GRC get a top ten finish at Club Nats.  Lets get it boys!!! 
   16 miles in for the day (4 pre race/ 6.2 race/ 6 post race)

No comments:

Post a Comment