Thankful for the gift. Each and every day

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Snowaphobia???

So... December 5th marks the day where I injured my achilles... This occurred thanks to a very tough Fartlek workout in 4 inches of snow on my germantown park XC loop. After my final 1 min on effort where I was running circa 4:40 pace in the snow, I felt a pull in my lower left leg that left me stumbling in the final 10 seconds of the kicking interval... (what timing). From there... it was downhill. The timing in general couldn't be worse as I tried to run after 2 days off and the pain continued to be an 8 out of 10. The following saturday was the first official race on my winter/spring schedule (US club champs). I wasn't in great shape but felt that I could surprise myself against fierce competition in Lexington, KY over the hill and dale. the night before I came down with the flu... at first I thought it was just a respiratory injection with some sourness in stomach... I had to make a last minute decline on the trip... As hard as that was... I was feeling worse than I have in years when it came to being sick.. It ended up being a good decision as the virus turned into a stomach virus and driving 9 hours in a van and having to hit the can every 20 minutes probably would not have been welcomed.
So... now it is 11:06 on Sunday February 7th. This will be my first week of logging mileage since the injury in early december. I feel cardio fit! the pool workouts have done well. my legs feel weird running... my achilles twinges still but not with pain but weakness. I ran my 6 miles on fri evening directly before the storm when i got into PA to visit my parents. I opted out of a heavy snow run yesterday and focused my energy on shoveling my parents down hill driveway... which I actually felt I got a nice workout in... I timed myself to see how fast I could do it... the driveway is 75 meters long and I completed 22 inches of snow removal over that area in 52 minutes... I obviously wasn't a maniac with it in that I was not going to hurt my back or anything but... i didn't take any breaks...
Today is a different day... I am going out for a 6 miler... on the snow covered streets.... I am nervous because the last snow run I participated in ended in this major setback at a time in my life I did not need another one... (yes i know, things could be worse....I still have my overall health)... but still. I need to take it easy... I am running with my buddy mike who is training like an animal right now for Boston. He is running 23 today... I am meeting him at the halfway point for a 10k of company... we are running in Tyler park which is hilly but usually plowed well on the main roads. Details of this short but... fearful run to come.... achilles don't let me down again!

No comments:

Post a Comment