Thankful for the gift. Each and every day

Friday, April 2, 2010

3/28-4/3: 62 miles last week... 60 miles with 1 sick day off is the goal

Sunday: 15 plus on Capitol Crescent Trail. I felt great up to about 8.5 and started feeling out of it. I ate about 3 hours prior to run and did not drink as much water as I should have before my first real long run. plus the out terrain was a gradual downhill and i had to come up that nice looong gradual downhill to finish the run up. Overall, I was happy how the run felt (cardio wise I felt great but my legs were aching).

Monday: 8 miles plus on Trolley Trail with Karl. It is great to be getting in some runs with my pal KD again. We kept a nice pace.

Tuesday: 11.5 miles 3 x 2miles (w/ 400rest).
Interval 1: 9:53
Interval 2: 9:45
Interval 3: 9:35
I went at this workout planning on being a bit more aggressive than I have been. I actually ended up surprising myself. I know that my fitness is coming back... However, tonights workout really showed that I am a lot more fit than i realized. I don't know if the respiratory cold finally is out of my system combining with my fitness.... who knows... but i felt really good tonight.
After the 2.5 warm up, Dirk, Charlie, Dave and Karl and I set out on a 3 x 2 mile workout w/ 400 jog rest. There were some different versions of this workout... but all followed the same concept. I set out to hit 10flat for the first interval... where Dirk wanted to ease into it due to a sore achilles, so he proposed 10:20... We both hit 9:53 for the first interval (so much for that idea of meeting in the middle). The second interval felt much more smooth... i hit an even 9:45 for interval 2. The third interval I felt was going to be a bear. I felt good going into it but knew that it would not be the same feeling 4 laps into the final interval. Dirk paced me out in an even 4:50-51. I continued that pace until about 600 to go. I started to press but waited until 250 to go. I feel I didn't put it all on the track at the end, I just kept it quick but smooth (good form and in control). I pumped my fist as I finished my last interval in 9:35 (66 final 400). I felt better than I have in a workout thus far since my return. Just this weekend,I only came through 2 miles in 9:50 thanks to the easy lap/hard lap rotation of the race dynamic. The 9:35 at the end felt much smoother and relaxed than I felt in the 5k race on saturday in general.
After this workout, I decided for sure that I will make a trip to Bucknell for the Distance classic next friday April 9th and try to post a solid 5k on the track. This environment I hope will be that of a consistent pace, a nice pack to roll along with and then hang on for dear life in the final 1200 meters. This will be the last 5k on the track this spring. I want revenge on this distance! Time to bring out the spikes!!!

Wednesday: 8 miles. Ran out to Tilden Woods and neandered up and down the small loop of trails to get off the asphalt for a bit. I took today nice and easy. Beautiful day to run!

Thursday: 8 miles. Ran in Tyler Park (PA)... half trails, half paved path. Very hilly run (as there are no flats in Tyler). I took it moderately easy... I laced up the new spikes that just came in and hit some straights and turns on the track post run. Feeling good.

Friday: 0 miles. After playing a morning round of golf with my dad, I was not feeling well at all. I had chills and began to sweat when I was not hot. I took my temperature and was reading a 101.3. I decided to bag the run today (it was only a scheduled 6 miler and hit some zzz's for a few hours. I woke up in sweat... My pants and t-shirt were soaked... so, I broke the fever... feeling about 60% better. I will attack the workout as planned tomorrow morning. I have been going nonstop with averaging 6 hours/night of sleep... when you are running your highest week in a phase, you cannot do that... on top of other things outside of running that needed being taken care of this week.

Saturday: (10 miles) 5 x 1000m (at 5k goal pace) (200rest). (4 x 200 hard).

1 comment: