Thankful for the gift. Each and every day

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Kentlands 5k Race Report

I arrived to the Kentlands shopping center at 6:45 for the Kentlands/Lakelands 5k race beginning at 8am.  Upon arriving, i met up with fellow GRCer Scott Koonce and walked over towards the starting area to use the facilities.  As we walked over, we both were questioning why in the world nobody was at the race yet and the fact that the finish/start areas were just being assembled.  After doing business, we realized walking back to our cars that the race was not starting until 8:30... My fault... but better early than late.  We took off for our warm up at 7:50am.  We ran the last 2 miles backwards on the course and then got back to our car, changed to our flats and put on our GRC garb.  We headed to the facilities one last time and then to the start.  I picked my way through the crowd to the front row.  The usual suspects were up there, as I knew they would be there.  Where there is $$$, they are always there... especially 300buckaroos for a 5k race winner.
  The gun went off and we took off.  The first half mile was a bit of a game.  No one really certain to lead.  Until Tefera and Megressa took off.  The race was now "ON".  I ran just off of Megressa's shoulder, with Demesse Tefera on the opposite side.  We came through 1 mile at 4:47.  A surge immediately came from Megressa as Tefera and I both covered it.  I actually at this point felt the pace slow significantly (just 20 seconds after the initial failed surge by Megressa).  I got up next to Megressa and looked at him, "Is that it?"  I thought that of course in my head, I obviously would not say that to him.  I was simply looking for a fast race today and not these games to feel one another out and kick for the prize.  I wanted a time that will give me motivation going into philly in 2 weeks.  I took the lead and led through the 2 mile mark.  Just before reaching 2 miles, Tefera dropped out of the race.  There were now two of us.  We came through 2 in 9:30.  a 4:43 for the second mile.  We were now hitting the meat of the hills on this course.  We made the turn for the grinding hill that would take us all the way to 800 meters to go.  Megressa made a strong move.  He got a couple strides on me but i was able to reel him back in.  He slowed but I did not.  I kept pushing up the hill.  At one point I no longer saw his shadow on the pavement.  Was I breaking the Ethiopian?  He regained ground with 1000meters to go.  We crested the hill and were ready for the down hill that would plunge us onto the main street for the 400 meter straight to the finish.  I was confident making the turn i was going to win.  I felt good.  Really good.  I was sure I felt better than Megressa and was confident I could out kick him.  Right off the turn for the down hill Megressa made a move I definitely did not expect.  He immediately went to a full kick speed leaning into the downhill balls out.  I panicked and went after him but lost about 10 meters immediately. We turned for home.  400 to go... "Lets go Wiggy" I told myself!!! This is your chance... I went into my drive and the kick was there.  200 to go I was up on his heels it was there.  But then Megressa peeked over his right shoulder and his knees came up and he had one last gear.  DAMNIT!  I still was able to match it but i was running out of real estate.  Then it happened...  I see Megressas hands going up about 20 yards before the finish... I tried one last all out through the line attempt to get even with him but none such luck.  I ran into him in the corral almost going down.  We congratulated each other and Megressa stated to me, "great race, you pushed me well."  I did not know my time until I got out of the corral and Brian Miller told me that I was around 14:45.  Official Time: 14:44 (4:44 pace).  That made me feel good, especially coming from a superstar like him.  I gathered with Scott, Andy Chicken Tender, Michelle Miller and my substitute teacher and former olympic trials marathon qualifier Dan Lawson (Masters Winner) for a 5 mile cooldown.  We got back for the awards.  The payout was nice for a 5k.  1st-300, 2nd-200, 3rd-100.   
  2 weeks until Philly. 

1 comment:

  1. I thought the start was 8AM too, but didn't realize until I arrived at the start line at 7:52 post warm-up.

    ReplyDelete