Thankful for the gift. Each and every day

Sunday, February 20, 2011

85 miles for the week and boy do i feel it!

   So, i finished off the week with 85 miles.  This ties the second highest week I have had in 10 years.  My highest during this span took place in mid summer with a 92 mile week... i jumped from 82 to 92 that week then back down to 80.  I was able to get 4 workouts in the previous 8 days.  Last saturday's 18 mile progression run (6 easy, 6 at 5:54, 5 at 5:15, 1 easy), Tuesday's 6 x 2000 (6:15, 6:15, 6:10, 6:10, 6:05, 6:02), Thursdays 10 miler with 6 x 250 at 90% in the middle of the run and the By George 10k: 32:46 (in high winds... definitely went from feeling good to flat in the final 1.5 miles).  It was great to see the team perform well considering the terrible windy conditions.  My hat is esp off to one of my best friends and teammate Karl Dusen.  He ran a nice time in the terrible wind and with just making a big jump closer to his race form.  It was great having him racing again and i am excited for the next time we get a group out in a race together.  Karl, Jerry, Sam and I worked together for much of the race.  I gave it a go to keep pace with Karl and Jerry with about 1.5 miles to go but could not turn over any faster, my legs were cooked.
   I will be moving it up to 90 miles this week (this will be my highest week in this lead up to shamrock).  However, i have two very tough workouts this week (not including an easy 18 miler tomorrow), one being a key workout in this training cycle.  I am excited to keep focused for the next 4 weeks leading into shamrock and pushing through these grueling intervals, tempos and progressions to come.  Thus far, i have knocked all of these workouts out of the water and have felt very good doing so... However, it is early in the preparation still... the next 3 weeks include 5 difficult workouts.   This is where the men are separated from the boys.  I need to step up to the plate and welcome the discomfort of running fast.  One thing is for certain, no matter how shamrock goes on March 20th, a lack of effort, determination and desire will not be an issue. 

Giddy Up!
 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Man! I'm looking forward to working together to achieve some big things this year!

    ReplyDelete