Thankful for the gift. Each and every day

Sunday, February 27, 2011

87.5 mile week on singles + two key workouts

Monday started off my week with a 20miler.  Due to presidents day, Outlaw and I decided to run our long run on our off day from school. 
Tuesday was an easy 9 miles. 
Wednesday was the second key workout of this half marathon training plan.  4 x 1.5 miles.  He hit all our paces right on (4:56 pace, 4:52 pace, 4:48 pace and 4:44 pace).  Our last interval got rolling at the tail end.  I have been keeping all of my intervals consistent to the coach jerry's plan.  However, i got caught in the moment when i saw karl go after it in the final 600.   I was able to close in a 2:14 final 800 (4:34 last mile of the workout).  With the intensity and miles that i have been putting in the last few weeks, i am really pleased with how i felt. 
Thursday:  I ran a semi-easy 10 miles.  I ran a bit quick at the end due to the rain and wanting to get done my 10 mile loop in time to go to a happy hour i was planning on going to...
Friday:  I hit an easy 10 miles with Hanson on the CCT
Saturday: The third key workout was a long run progression.  5 miles easy, 5 miles at 5:50 pace and 5 miles at 5:10 pace.  I woke up not feeling great and once again was coughing some junk out of my chest... shocker, i know...  I was persuaded by Hanson to get out and give it a go which i am glad i did.  Once i got through the easy 1/3 of the run, i felt my burning lungs subsided.  I was in a nice comfortable rhythm through the 5:50's but knew that the 5:10 effort would not feel the same.  We ran up to the CCT from the tressel and began the harder final 1/3 of the progression.  In 2008, i was able to run 13.1 at about this pace (5:11pace = 1:08 for half marathon).  I got down to 5:08 average with 1.5 miles to go and was feeling in the zone.  I was on the brink of hurt but just on comfort side of the redline.  The trick to running a good half is to get your body to that line and just tippy-toe along it, not crossing it for a second but not taking another inch back from the line either.  Once i turned and came back up the cct on the uphill grade was when i began to slow some.  I was hitting about 5:12 pace at this point.  However in my final 1/2 mile when i turned back down the cct, i was able to make up some ground again and finish strong.  I ran 25:52 for my final 5 miles and with an easy 1.5 mile cooldown included ran a 6:13 average for 16.5 miles.  I was thinking about when i ran 25:54 as a freshman in college at the CAA conference championships while running for JMU.  I remember being so excited to break 26 for 8k.  Now i find myself breaking 26 for a full 5 miles after already running 10 miles prior. 
Sunday:  I ran an easy 10 miles from "the line" with Klim and Hanson.  I woke up not feeling good at all but pushed myself out of bed.  I got through the run ok and felt that it kicked out the crappy feeling.  However after coming home, showering and chilling of the couch, i began to not feel too good.  I napped and relaxed the remainder of the day.  I decided not to attend the red carpet party at P.Murphs tonight (which i was upset to place my amazing get-up back in the closet). 
87.5 miles in 7 runs.  The most miles I have ever done on singles.

No comments:

Post a Comment