Thankful for the gift. Each and every day

Friday, April 23, 2010

4/18-4/26: Time to go racing!


Sunday: 13+ miles. I ran from "the line" with Jake, Dickson, Chuck, Towpath, Max and Frank. We ran up the rock creek trail, took some of the dirt trails to get off the pounding pavement and rounded up and around the zoo loop and came back. Relaxed pace throughout the run, which i needed today. My body is asking me what the hell is going on. I was nearing mid/high level of fitness prior to sickness two weeks ago (I had one week at 35-the week i got sick and the next week i totaled 9 miles). Last week was my first full week back again and I hit 60. I will hit 65 this week.... I will not taper for Pikes peek even though it is my first scheduled peak peek race (i had to say that)... my training calendar is going out the window for the next two weeks... I am going to do a slight taper going into Broad street... but any taper I do this week... will just make me flat.... I need to get stronger and the only way to do that is to keep the running volume consistent. 1 easy tune up workout this week (4 x 800 at 2:27-28ish... faster than goal 10k pace.)
Monday: 10 miles on Cabin John Trails.
Karl accompanied me on the trails and we had a nice run. Weather was beautiful and the trails felt great on the legs.
Tuesday: 8 miles around North Bethesda.
Neandered around the area and explored some of the back neighborhoods off of Old Georgetown Road. I found some hilly loops back in there that I am going to run more often. Right calf soreness but nothing major.
Wednesday: BCC workout (5 x 800 faster than 10k goal pace w/ 300 jog recovery).
Ran with a group of GRCers at BCC. Splits were as follows:
2:25
2:25
2:24
2:27
2:17 (30 last 200-felt smooth!)
Thursday: 8 miles late in the evening with Karl.
I felt good but very tired from a VERY long day.
Friday: 8 miles. Ran at 5:00am before school Combined my newly found neighborhood loop and extended it to the trolley trail and came back the same way at 30 minutes. Kept the run super relaxed.
Saturday: 5 miles. Ran from the GRC (Chevy Chase Store) in the AM with several GRCers, as well as Puma Rep Max Smith (a 3:56 miler). Pace was a nice pre-race easy pace. After the run, Jake, PMurph, Charlie, Dylan and I went over the summer training leading up to the Chicago marathon/ fall half marathons training regiment.

PIKES PEEK IS SUNDAY! My PR is 32:02...this was en route at the 08 philly distance run and is my least impressive PR I have. This will be my 5th 10k ever on the roads and first competitive race at this distance in 6 years. I am ready to race to my potential in the next few weeks. It all starts here.

No comments:

Post a Comment