Thankful for the gift. Each and every day

Saturday, July 3, 2010

A hilly tempo... but a good one

I began today with the plan of running a 5-6 mile tempo on the track... at 9am... Yeah, that was short lived... I actually began the tempo on the track... ran 1 mile and stopped. I hit 5:10 through the mile and it wasn't the pace... it was the fact that I had to run another 16-20 laps more on a hot sunny track... I ran a 5 mile workout on the track wed... so i stopped, ran to my car, got a drink and ran 1 mile down to tyler park and began the 5.3 mile "south loop". It is hilly, very hilly... but shaded and it is 1 lap!!! I figure the 5:10 i ran on the track previously would be good as an extended warm up. I started out strong but conservative at the same time... I began with a 1/2 mile down hill which helped ease into it but keep a good clip... I then hit the notorious Horse shoe mile (a 1 mile switch back that doesn't let up)... at the top of horse shoe I got a short 100 meter downhill then went up to white pines hill that dumps you to the base of college hill (so basically this 5.3 mile loop has a 2mile uphill included in it) At the summit of college, i was greated with a swift but steep down hill that goes about 1000 meters. It levels off and is a bit rolly before heading down the 1 mile Agony hill... It is known as agony when you run up this hill... the 5.3 loop (which has a race during the winter) goes in the direction I followed today.. I finished at the base of Agony in 27:17 for 5.3 miles (5:08)... I basically figured I was running about 5:25's on the up sections but sub 5's on the downs... I felt really strong when I finished... so strong that I went directly into my cool down without stopping. I am running a very easy 16 miler tomorrow... Monday and tuesday will both be easy runs (monday 10 miles), tuesday AM 8 miles. Wednesday will be a workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment