Thankful for the gift. Each and every day

Friday, July 30, 2010

A little break from the heat! How long will it last?


On wednesday evening I met a large crew of GRCers at BCC for workout wednesday. We settled on a 3 x 2mile workout on the track with 400 jog recovery. after 2.5 miles of warm up we laced up the flats and hit the line. I decided I wanted to run as close to half marathon goal pace as possible... I figured I would just stay at that pace for the duration of the workout... as it got very humid compared to the morning hours. I started slightly ahead of the rest of the pack accidently (i thought they started with me and here there were a few not ready)... I hit 10flat on the first one and felt good besides the uncomfortable heat. Legs and breathing were normal... i just felt like I could not cool my body temp down. The second interval felt much better and I even got faster (9:50). Going into the third one I was feeling really over heated... to the point it felt a bit dangerous... the odd thing was my breathing was still fine and legs felt good... i just felt like i was in an oven. I sloshed my sweat soaked self to the line after an extended water break going into the third. I hit 4:53 and came back in 4:49 (9:42) without much extra effort. I definitely felt I held myself back on the last one... as I knew I would possibly be in trouble after the workout if i were to drop the pace.
I need things to continue the way the are... my lead up has been going well. I just hope I can keep the ball rolling for the next 7 weeks!

Thursday: 10 miles (easy/med)
I ran the Tilden extended loop and added on 1.5 miles around the surrounding neighborhoods... it was still humid... but i felt ok.
Friday: 10 miles (easy)
I ran the exact same run i did last night but felt much better thanks to the cooler temperatures... I actually got outside and felt a small chill... I loved it... Its hilarious to feel cold when it is still in the high 70's... Just shows the oven that the d.c/metro area has been for the last few weeks.
Saturday: Tomorrow I will attempt a 20 miler from the GRC on the towpath. We will go out and back on a 5 mile stretch twice (2 water stops enroute). This works out to be a 90 mile week which is crazy (have not done that since my freshman year of college)... but i have two long runs in one week... so i guess that will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment