Thankful for the gift. Each and every day

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Committed to nip this in the bud!

   3rd bout of Bronchitis within 9 months.  My doctors tell me that this is not normal... No??? you don't say!  "It is just your allergies that cause this and due to allergens that you breath in at a higher rate as a runner, you get the infection in your lungs."  My allergist is getting a visit again this week... This has been a struggle for years when the seasons change... Summer to fall; fall to winter; winter to spring; spring to summer.  It is tough to run when you can't breath... I could get through and perform half decently in the shorter races 800/1500 depending on severity.  But when you are training for "Aerobic" events such as the half and marathon, oxygen is a necessity.  My doctor said when it is shoulders and above, extra rest/ run as much as you can handle.... When it is below shoulders, stop running until clear.    This was full blown when i woke up on thursday morning.  I have not run since wednesday.  I will have 4 days off going into next week.  If I have to take a 5th day off, so be it.  I have been on antibiotics including a Z-pack and Codeine syrup since thurs evening.  It has been clearing me up its not about getting the current symptoms to go away, It is never having them reoccur again. 
   I am going to try for a short shakeout run tomorrow (4 miles)-if I feel my lungs have cleared...tuesday if all is feeling better I will go a bit more.  On wednesday, I am meeting at BCC not to do much working out but to get a run in with the chicago boys and meet up with my new coach. I am motivated to get back to healthy training again.  but I need to get my body checked and cleared to go to war.  We figured out the rough race plan for the winter and spring.  The key races are still being confirmed.  I am still waiting to see if I can get into Houston, but I don't think that is happening due to not having a qualifying time since 2008.  Shamrock Half Marathon in march is looking to be the half focus if houston can't happen.   
   Before I continue ranting about key races, I need to first get myself healthy for good!

3 comments: